Monday, May 11, 2015

Iceland - Day 0

May 11, 2015

Our journey to Iceland started with a drive to Baltimore. We were mostly packed the Saturday before we left and spent Sunday, Mother's Day, with our mothers. Monday morning, we woke up, finished packing, cleaning, and closing up the house then set off.

Our flight was at 7:30 so we had plenty of time to get to BWI. On the way up, we stopped in DC for late lunch at Döner Bistro. I'd been looking for somewhere in the US to get Turkish/German style Döner Kebap and this was the only place I found. It was delicious! I'm so glad we made this stop!

The restaurant was pretty far North in DC, so after eating we headed over to the National Cathedral to find Darth Vader. Unfortunately, there was a seminary graduation going on so we couldn't go inside, but we enjoyed walking around the church and soaking in a few minutes of sunshine before taking off.

We left DC with the intention of having plenty of time to grab early dinner before heading to BWI, but as is typical with DC traffic, the drive took much longer than expect. We parked in the long term lot and took a shuttle over to the terminals. It was really simple and easier even than RDU long term parking. Our flight was the only flight out of our terminal in our time frame so the check-in and security lines were non-existent. All of our bags were underweight, thankfully, and the WOW ladies were very nice. After we got into the terminal, we walked around for about 5 minutes before having dinner. There was only one restaurant and it was packed. I tend to be super understanding towards busy waitstaff but our waitress was the worst waitress I've ever had. It was pretty frusterating wondering whether or not I would actually be able to eat before our 6+ hour flight (on which none of the refreshments are free), even though I'd ordered over an hour in advance of boarding. I did eventually eat, quickly, and we were at the gate just after boarding started.

We paid for extra legroom and that was definitely worth it. L could actually move his legs (a bit) and wasn't completely cramped. We both tried, unsuccessfully, to sleep as much as possible. We had blow up neck pillows, which I really appreciate and took ZzzQuill to help. My only complaint about the flight is that they left the overhead lights on, adding to our difficulty sleeping. I did get to see the sun rise over the clouds about an hour before we landed, which was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment